So I have a My Passport drive that I had back before my mac computer killed itself. It has pretty much every bit of information I really hold dear, and on any mac computer I can find everything on it. Trying to use it on my girlfriend’s computer is a completely different matter. It doesn’t register that the drive even exists, though the device connected noise sounds. It doesn’t give me.
Part 2: How to fix WD my passport Ultra not detected. You surely are aware of all the features which WD my passport Ultra attains. Now, it is time for you to go through the actual methods to resolve your issue of WD my passport Ultra not detected. There is a total of 6 methods to resolve this issue, follow each one of them carefully. It shows up in Device Manager under disk drives and also shows the WD Drive Management devices. If I right click the drive to show Properties it will say it is working properly, the driver is updated, but if i click on the Volumes tab it doesn’t recognize anything, and when I click on the Details tab, the Properties window freezes completely. Apple likes to ensure these are easy to find, so they also appear in the Finder in the left-hand column under Devices, since Mac’s treat them the same way as another computer. However, sometimes, an external hard drive doesn't show up. It’s annoying, especially when you need to transfer something right then.
Hard drives are important in our daily activities because they help us store a lot of data such as documents, photos, and videos as well as ease the files transfer from one Mac to another. Amongst the variety of external hard drives, Western Digital My Passport is an example of a reliable trustworthy external hard drive. As the name entails, WD is designed to have the size of a passport in order to increase portability and is produced in different styles of color to fit user demands. WD is a good hard drive and has features such as;
- Transferring files from My Passport to Mac and vice versa
- Performing an auto backup
- Can be encrypted to protect with a password
- Easy to use
- Outsmarts other hard drives with unique features such as the ability to connect to popular social media and cloud storage services permitting you to import your information to WD my passport
Part 1. How to Use WD My Passport on Mac
For efficient transfers, it is recommended to format your WD drive to a format compatible with Mac which will be covered further in this tutorial. Transferring files between WD My Passport and Mac is a simple process. In order to perform a file transfer,
1. Plug the USB cable from WD my Passport drive to a free functional USB port on your Mac.
2. Enter My Passport by clicking on the icon present on the desktop.
3. You can copy and paste any file from your Mac to your Passport and vice versa.
4.When the transfer process is complete, drag the 'My Passport' icon above the 'Trash' icon then release your mouse button. This enables you to safely eject your WD My Passport drive.
Part 2. Western Digital My Passport does not show on Mac
My Passport For Mac Not Showing Up On Pc
Normally, after plugging your WD drive, it automatically shows up on your Mac. Sometimes, it does not show up due to a number of reasons such as
- 1. faulty cable: You may connect your WD to your Mac with a cable that is damaged and as a result of that, your device does not show up on your Mac as expected.
- 2. damaged USB port: At times, the port of your Mac can be the issue and a simple change in the port can solve the issue.
- 3. incorrect format of the drive: Some drives are formatted in such a way that they can only be used on windows, others can only be used on Mac and some can be used on both. To look for the format,
- Go to the Apple logo on the toolbar menu.
- Proceed to “About This Mac”.
- Go to storage and from there you can check the drive information.
- Easy to use
- 4. System failure can also result to your WD My Passport not showing up.
- 5. Malware infection: A malware problem such as a virus attack may be the cause of the problem.
- 6. Corrupted WD My Passport: This happens when the system cannot finish writing data to a file and this can result to the drive not showing up.
- 7. Motherboard Problems too can lead to the issue.
How to Fix Western Digital My Password Not Showing on Mac
If you have been wondering on how to make WD function on Mac, this section will let you know how to.
1. Show External Hard Drive icon on Desktop
Normally when a WD My Passport is connected to Mac, it automatically recognizes the device and My Passport gets mounted on the desktop immediately. This drive then appears on Finder in the left-hand column below devices. But as a result of problems such as corrupted files, the external hard drive doesn’t show up. In order to fix the external hard drive not showing,
1. Go to Finder and click on Preferences.
2. In the General tab, tick the External disks option to make sure WD My Passport shows up on the desktop.
3. Then go to the sidebar tab, tick External disks to ensure it shows up on Finder. You can equally choose the folders and devices which you want to be shown in the Finder Window’s left-hand column.
After doing this, the WD My Passport’s icon will appear on the desktop if it is properly connected to Mac through a working port.
2. Check out Western Digital My Password USB Cable Appears in Disk Utility or Not
After trying solution 1, if WD is not showing up on Finder still, you should check if it shows on Disk Utility. To ensure that WD My Passport is properly connected to Mac with a working cable and or port, you to have check if it appears in disk utility or it doesn’t(will be shown below). After checking, there are two different situations that may be at hand.
Your WD My Passport has been detected but it is grayed out, that is it is not mounting.
WD My Passport has been detected but is not recognized and is not showing up at all.
3. Perform a manual Mounting
Not every hard drive is automatically mounted in Disk Utility when detected. If you see your WD My Passport not mounting automatically, you can mount it manually in the following way;
1. Go to Application then proceed to Utilities.
2. Go to Disk Utility.
3. Click Show all devices in the view option.
4. Choose your WD my Passport drive and click on the Mount button located at the top of Disk. Utility Window or you can directly mount by clicking on the mount icon beside the drive.
4. Repair your WD My Passport drive using First Aid
If it your WD My Passport is detected but not recognized, it cannot be mounted and so it has to be repaired using First Aid which is a tool on Mac that analyzes and repairs basic problems of the hard drive. To perform a repair,
1. Proceed to Disk Utility and choose your WD My Passport.
2. Click on First Aid at the top of the Disk Utility window.
3. A message will pop up and click on Run to start the repair of an undetected external hard drive.
4. Once the repairs are finished, click on Done.
5. How to Format Western Digital My Passport to exFAT for Mac
Sometimes, First Aid won’t be able to repair grayed hard drives but this can be fixed by formatting WD My Passport to exFAT format for Mac. This is because, First Aid cannot fix a disk file system that has been damaged so formatting it to a new format makes a new file system which replaces the damaged file system. To format WD My Passport;
1. Go to Disk Utility.
2. Choose your WD My Passport in the left sidebar.
3. Click on Erase at the top of the Disk Utility Window.
4. A window will pop up requiring you to enter information concerning (new name, format (exFAT), and partition scheme).
5. Once all information is entered, click on Erase.
Please note that this will erase everything found on your WD My Passport drive hence backing it up before performing the process is recommended.
Part 3. Western Digital My Passport for Mac Data Recovery
If you have already erased your WD My Passport drive and lost all your information, you don’t have to worry because there is still a possibility of recovering all your information using special software known as iBeesoft Data Recovery for Mac. This is the best online data recovery solution. It is easy to use as no special training is required to use it. Also, it is very safe (Virus and risk-free) and effective for data recovery on Mac as it is compatible with many different types of files as well as with the different versions of Mac.
In order to recover data from your WD My Passport on Mac,
1.Download iBeesoft Data Recovery for Mac
When the download is completed install the software on your Mac. It is virus-free so it is safe.
2. Choose the Files to Scan
By default, all the main file types will be chosen. If you want only a specific file type, you may unselect the others but if you want to recover everything, you should leave every file type selected and click on 'Start' to recover files from external hard drive on Mac.
3. Select your WD My Passport
After clicking on the Start, all devices available on your Mac will be listed. From the list, choose your WD My Passport drive and click on 'Scan'. By default, it will start the normal scanning process.
4. Preview and recover your files
After the normal scanning which takes a few minutes, you will see file types arranged on the left side of the window and the file on the other side of the window. When you click on a category of files on the left, the corresponding recovered files will show up on the right. If you find your files, select them and click on 'Recover' so save them on the drive. If you do not find your files, you have the option to perform a deep scan which is located on the top left corner of the window. A deep scan is more effective although it takes more time than a normal scan.
This tutorial summarizes how WD works on Mac, how to use WD on Mac, and how to fix WD on Mac when it has issues.
How do I fix My WD Passport Ultra not showing up on my computer?'
When your WD My Passport Ultra hard drive or external hard drive is not showing up, you can neither access nor use the drive on your computer. And don't worry.
Follow this guide, you'll learn the causes and how to fix the WD Passport Ultra external hard drive not showing up error on your own.
Here is the complete guide to making your WD Passport external hard drive detected again:
- Part 1. Check The State of WD Passport External Hard Drive in Disk Management
- Part 2. Fix WD My Passport External Hard Drive Not Showing Up Error - 6 Fixes
- Part 3. Get Data Off and Format WD External Hard Drive to Work Again
Some of you may also want to learn what causes the wd external hard drive not showing up issue on the computer. Continue reading and check it out.
My Passport For Mac Doesn'T Show In Devices
Why Is My WD Passport Not Showing UP
We consulted many experienced users and IT professionals, and we concluded the causes below. Check out why is your WD Passport Ultra external not showing up:
- 1. A faulty USB port/cable, or a damaged USB hub on PC
- 2. No drive letter is assigned to WD Passport drive
- 3. Corrupted file system or bad sectors makes WD drive unreadable
- 4. WD drive driver is out of date
- 5. Universal USB controllers drivers are outdated
These causes may also lead to some of your other devices malfunctioning, such as:
So how to fix these errors and make your WD Passport Ultra external hard drive show up on PC again? Follow through the tutorials below to get rid of this issue immediately.
Part 1. Check The State of WD External Hard Disk in Disk Management
Connect the WD external hard drive to your computer via the USB cable. Follow steps here to check the state of your WD external hard drive in Disk Management:
Step 1. Press Windows + R keys, type diskmgmt.msc in the Run box, and click 'OK'.
Step 2. In Disk Management, locate and check the state of your WD external hard drive.
Part 2. Fix WD My Passport External Hard Drive Not Showing Up Error
Check the state of your not showing up or not detected WD My Passport Ultra external hard drive and refer to the right fix to make your drive work normally again.
Tips to Remove WD External Hard Drive Not Showing Up/Not Detected Error:
|Disk Status in Disk Management||Workable Solutions|
|1. Disk Shows Up, No Drive Letter||Fix 1. File system is normal, add new drive letter..Full steps|
Fix 2. File system is '*Others', fix file system..Full steps
Fix 3. File system is 'Unknown', sent for repair..Full steps
|2. Disk Show Up, Not In File Explorer||Fix 4. Contact EaseUS support team for help..Full steps|
|3. Disk Not Show Up||Fix 5. Change a different USB cable/port or PC..Full steps|
Fix 6. Update WD external hard drive driver..Full steps
Pick a respective fix and follow the full guide to fix your WD My Passport external hard drive not showing up issue now.
Fix 1. Add New Drive Letter to Make WD Passport External Hard Drive Showing Up
Applies to: Fix WD passport external hard drive not showing up error due to drive letter confliction.
If your WD displays as 'New Volume' with no drive letter in Disk Management, it won't show up in File Explorer. Don't worry.
You can change or add a new drive letter so to make WD passport detectable and accessible again in Windows PC:
Step 1. Press Win + R keys, type diskmgmt.msc in the Run dialog, click 'OK' to open Disk Management.
Step 2. Right-click on WD drive which fails to show up and choose 'Change Drive Letter and Paths..'.
Step 3. Click 'Add', set a new drive letter to assign to the WD external drive, and click 'OK'.
If the WD drive has already been assigned with a letter, click 'Change' to choose another letter for it.
After this, restart your PC and check if you can visit the WD external hard drive in Windows File Explorer.
Fix 2. Fix Corrupted File System/Bad Sector That Makes WD External Not Showing Up
Applies to: Fix WD passport external hard drive not showing up due to file system error or bad sectors.
If the system files are corrupted or the WD device contains bad sectors, Windows disk management may detect it as '*Others' or RAW. Your computer may not even able to detect it from File Explorer.
EaseUS partition manager software with its Check File System feature can help. As long as your Disk Management can detect it, you can apply this tool to fix the corrupted file system and bad sectors on WD hard drive.
Follow to see how to fix corrupted system files and bad sectors on WD device: Two point hospital for mac.
Step 1. Open EaseUS Partition Master on your computer. Then locate the disk, right-click the partition you want to check, and choose 'Check File System'.
Step 2. In the Check File System window, keep the 'Try to fix errors if found' option selected and click 'Start'.
Step 3. The software will begin checking your partition file system on your disk. When it has completed, click 'Finish'.
After this, you can check the drive. If your files were missing, move to Part 3 and apply reliable data recovery software to bring back all your WD external hard drive data.
Fix 3. Send 'Unknown' & Not Detected WD External Hard Disk for Repair
If your WD external hard drive displays as 'Unknown' in disk management, the last thing you can try is to send the disk for repair.
You have two options for this issue:
- Option 1. Beyond the Warranty: Send WD external disk for repair in a local repair center
- Option 2. Within the Warranty: Send WD external disk back to its manufacturer
Fix 4. Contact EaseUS Support Team for Help
If your WD external hard drive is detected in Disk Management but not showing up in File History, you have two choices:
- #1. Refer to External Hard Drive Shows Up in Device Manager Not in This PC for help.
- #2. Contact the EaseUS support team for manual service help.
- 1. Unformat the drive
- 2. Repair the RAID, RAW disk or operating system
- 3. Recover lost partition (the one that cannot be recovered by software)
Fix 5. Try a Different USB Cable/Port or PC
When your WD hard drive neither shows up in File Explorer nor Disk Management, you can try to change the USB cable, try another USB port, or a new PC to see if the drive can be read or not.
Step 1. Switch a USB port/cable and replug it to your computer.
If the drive can be read via new a USB cable or on a new PC, then the drive is working fine. The problem is with the USB cable.
Step 2. Reconnect the WD drive via a new USB hub or to a new PC.
- If the WD Passport drive shows up, it is the damaged USB hub that stops WD from showing up.
- If the WD passport is not detected either on your current or the new PC, replace the WD drive with a new one.
Fix 6. Update WD External Device Driver & Reinstall BUS Controllers
When the WD Passport drive is not working, it might be caused by the outdated device drivers. So the best way is to update its driver via the following three paths:
#1. Download and Install WD Device Driver:
Step 1. Connect the problematic WD external hard drive to your PC.
Step 2. Right-click on the Windows icon and select 'Device Manager'.
Step 3. Find and expand Disk Drivers, Portable Devices, Universal Serial USB Controllers, or Other devices.
See if the WD external hard drive is shown as an 'Unknown' device.
Step 4. Right-click on Unknown or not working WD external hard drive, select 'Properties'.
Step 5. Go to the Details tab, set Property to 'Hardware Ids'.
Step 6. Right-click the top Value and click 'Copy'.
Step 7. Paste it into a browser and search for the correct device driver.
Step 8. Find and download the correct WD device driver and install it on your PC.
After this, restart your computer. And everything shall work fine with your WD My Passport Ultra drive.
#2. Update WD Device Driver from Device Manager:
Step 1. Right-click on the Windows icon and select 'Device Manager'.
Step 2. Expand Device Manager and right-click the WD My Passport Ultra drive.
Step 3. Select 'Update driver'.
Step 4. Select 'Search automatically for updated driver software', wait for the process to complete.
#3. Uninstall/Reinstall USB Controllers
When the Universal USB Bus Controllers are outdated, it may also stop your WD passport from being detected or showing up. So you can try to uninstall and reinstall USB controllers:
Step 1. Right-click on the Windows icon and select 'Device Manager'.
Step 2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click on USB controllers of the WD drive, and select 'Uninstall device'.
Repeat to uninstall each USB controller one by one.
Step 3. Restart the computer and Windows will automatically reinstall the USB controllers of your WD drive.
After this, you shall be able to visit and access saved data on your WD Passport Ultra drive normally by then.
- If the WD external hard drive is still not showing up in both File Explorer and Disk Management after trying all these solutions, send your drive for repair as shown in Fix 3.
Part 3. Get Data Off WD External Disk and Format It to Work Again
If your WD hard drive shows up and you can access the disk again. Take the last guide in this part to fully protect your files and make the WD external hard drive viable for saving and editing data again.
#1. Get Data Off WD External Hard Drive
Here are two ways that you can fully get files from your WD external hard drive:
- 1. Open and copy data from your WD hard drive to another storage device as a backup.
- 2. Recover lost files from WD drive with EaseUS file recovery software.
Note that, if you lost some valuable files during the process, don't worry. Professional file recovery software can scan and bring back your files in 3 steps:
Step 1. Choose the external hard drive
Since you're going to recover data from the external hard drive, run EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and choose the exact drive where you lost data. Click Scan.
Step 2. Scan for lost data
The software will start immediately to scan all over the selected drive for all lost data. During the scan, you could see more and more data showing up in the results.
Step 3. Preview and recover data
After the scan is over, check the scan results for the desired data. You can preview the file by double-clicking on it. Click Recover and choose another location to save the recovered data.
Remember to save the recovered files to another secure location and then move to the next guide to format your WD My Passport external hard drive to usable again.
#2. Format WD External Hard Drive to Usable
Here, you may also let EaseUS Partition Master help. It's easy and efficient in formatting a disk:
Step 1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master, right-click the partition on your external hard drive/USB/SD card which you want to format and choose the 'Format' option.
Step 2. Assign a new partition label, file system (NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/EXT3), and cluster size to the selected partition, then click 'OK'.
Step 3. In the Warning window, click 'OK' to continue.
Step 4. Click the 'Execute Operation' button in the top-left corner to review the changes, then click 'Apply' to start formatting your external hard drive/USB/SD card.
After this, you can save the data back to your WD external hard drive again.
Make Your WD External Hard Drive Show Up and Work Now
On this page, we explained why is WD My Passport Ultra external hard drive not showing up on Windows PC and provided 6 practical fixes for you to follow and make the drive show up again.
As a beginner, we suggest that you follow the whole guide one by one. These fixes also work to resolve the same issue on all brands of external hard drive, internal hard drive, USB, or SD card.
Now, it's your turn. Take steps to fix your not showing up WD external hard drive and make it work again without losing any data.
People Also Ask
For further issues related to the WD passport, check the questions and answers below. You'll get a satisfying answer:
1. WD My Passport not showing up on Mac
If you are having a similar issue that WD My Passport external or internal hard drive not showing up on Mac, you can try the following tips as listed here for help: （Some are similar as shown on this page)
- #1. Reconnect WD Passport to Mac
- #2. Change WD Passport drive letter
- #3. Remount WD Passport to Mac
- #4. Update WD Passport drive driver
- #5. Format WD My Passport on Mac
2. How to use WD Passport on Windows 10?
For a new WD Passport: Connect Passport to Windows 10 PC > Open Disk Management and Initialize Disk > Create a New Partition on WD Passport drive.
For a used WD Passport: Connect it to Windows 10 > Open it in File Explorer to use it. If you need more space, delete some useless files on it to free up space.
3. Why is my external hard drive not showing up?
Accordingly, many reasons may cause your external hard drive not showing up. Here is a list of major reasons:
- The external hard drive is not connected to the PC correctly
- Faulty USB cable or USB hub
- External hard drive is not initialized
- External hard drive is doesn't contain a volume
- External hard drive has no drive letter
- External hard drive contains file system error, bad sectors, or virus
For a resolution, follow to External/Internal Hard Drive Is Not Showing Up in Windows 10/8/7.